Historic Pathfinder Island in the Heart of Algonquin
A photo tour of Pathfinder places ...
Lovingly maintained in rustic simplicity since 1914, Pathfinder Island's 17-acres shelter her campers in a beautiful arrangement of traditional cabins and tent lodges beneath mature pines and hardwoods. A mature forest canopy grows overhead, and pine needled paths lie underfoot. The camp continues to limit the intrusion of modern technology to prevent environmental impact and to sustain the beauty of the Algonquin setting. Electric light and amenities are only present in the kitchen, office, workshop and trip outfitting spaces.
Simple vaulted washroom facilities and a lake-bathing culture both work toward a small human impact in our fragile ecosytem. We practice complete waste removal and recovery of all kitchen and septic, and run ambitious garbage recycling and composting that diverts over 65% of the camp's waste stream from landfill.
Along the shorelines, traditional cedar docks serve our many water sports. By shaded trails at the back of the island are sports courts and a modern ropes-challenge course blended into the forest. Simple council fire rings and a special place called The Chapel, are the scenes of weekly gatherings of the camp community for stories, games, songs and reflection.
Over 90 canoes, kayaks, sailboats and other craft are the pride of the camp. Pathfinder's fleet of Hurley wood-canvas trip canoes, and our own staff- and camper-built trip canoes number over 50 craft, with Royalex and Kevlar specialty canoes, a fleet of touring and whitewater kayaks, Laser sailcraft and more round out the 'fleet.'
The Dining Hall and Rec Lodge are two large pine buildings where daily meals and all-camp gatherings are happy traditions.
Pathfinder staff and campers share in the stewardship of the camp facility, from canoe repair to trail maintenance, dockwork and painting, firewood hauls, mulch spreading and infamous 'rock runs' for walls and walkways.